Well, there’s no good news on the sales front for The Murano Glass Slipper, unfortunately. It’s still, you know, fine. I’m not devastated or anything. In fact, I’ve now had a few really sweet comments about it that made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Which, let’s be honest, is a big part of what I’m in this game for. But the sales are still so, so much worse than they were for the first book and, somehow, worse even than my most pessimistic estimates. It’s bad, guys.
I’m trying to be positive about it, to think that there’s a chance that it could take off at any time but, really, I’m gutted. I’m managing not to spiral too much, but I know the thoughts are there, at the back of my mind: am I just terrible at this? Is the first book so bad that people will never, ever read anything I write again? How could I ever be so arrogant as to think I had a chance as a writer?
There is some good news, though. My current project, an as-yet-untitled contemporary royal romance (not Meghan-and-Harry-related, although I’m hoping they’ll have put people in the mood for it!), is going pretty well. I posted before about how putting together a detailed plan before starting to write made a huge difference to my productivity last time. This time, I’m working from a plan again, but I changed up the method a bit. Rather than plotting scene-by-scene, I actually wrote out the entire thing as one 12,000-word outline. The idea was that, hopefully, this would make it easier for me to spot any plot holes–because I’m looking at the whole plot at once instead of one scene at a time. So far, so good–although it’s normally around the two-thirds mark that the plot holes really make themselves known, and I’m not there yet.
Actually, the real headline here is my output. In the post I linked above, I was excited about having written 40,000 words in three weeks. As of yesterday, I’d written 40,000 words on the new book in 17 days. Sooo… that’s good.
There are some mitigating factors. For instance, I’m writing this one in first person, which I’ve always found a bit easier to do. And I’m sure a large chunk of this 40k won’t make it into the book, because I’m over halfway to my target word count but not yet halfway through the outline, so I’m pretty confident that the beginning needs a trim.
But, overall, I’m excited. This is a personal best for me and a huge improvement on how I used to write. It feels like I’m training my writing muscles and making them stronger–which is strength I’ll need, if I’m going to make a success of this someday.
Meanwhile, I suppose the disappointment with MGS means that I’m building resilience, and I’ll need that too. Onwards and upwards, I guess!