Well, I’ve set a deadline to finish Venetian Masks. A proper deadline, not just “the end of October”, which sounded sufficiently soft and cuddly in my head that I wasn’t really scared of it.
A proper deadline. 29th October. Two weeks today.
It’s fine. Everything’s fine.
I mean, hypothetically, if everything were not fine, it would be because:
- I’ve worked on it for over 2½ years, which is literally 10% of my life.
- I’ve worked harder on it than on anything I’ve ever done before.
- Paying to have it edited is saying “Hey, I guess I won’t do just one more quick year-long deeply excruciating rewrite”, which is something I’ve apparently never said about it before.
- I took a huge leap into the unknown by switching to part-time work to write it. I mean, obviously that has done startling things to my finances but, way more importantly, it’s a break with conventional wisdom that I’ve been waiting, terrified, to be punished for by the universe ever since.
- Approximately 95% of my sense of self-worth is bound up in whether or not I’m any good as a writer. If I’d written this quickly and not tried that hard, I could have been like “haha, pfft, nah, of course it’s not very good, I just dashed it off in a spare moment, I can do better, obviously, haha”. But I think you all know that I tried.
Just as well everything’s fine, right?
IN OTHER NEWS
This is actually not that new, I just forgot to post about it here because of how fine everything is. I bought VictoriaLeybourne.com and have been making it look pretty. Check it out! Everything just redirects back here at the moment but until you find that out it’s not bad, right?
I also live-tweeted another Beauty and the Beast movie. This time it was modern high-school retelling Beastly. That was also not this week. This year is somehow going by too fast and yet not fast enough.