This has been a week of Not Enough Sleep, so I’m not really feeling the whole “coherent blog post” thing. Instead, here is a collected assortment of things that have been on my mind this week:
- Apparently “perfection paralysis” is an actual thing that other people have, and maybe not just me being lazy and neurotic? I hate doing things I’m not good at. And I’m becoming increasingly sure that I’m subconsciously sabotaging my own attempts to finish Faustina because if I never finish, I’ve never done a bad job of it. Or, more to the point, I’ve never failed to do a good job, because there’s always time for me to make it better. This needs to stop because, at this point, my failure to finish it is making me feel so much worse than finishing it imperfectly would.
- Despite what I just said, I’m actually really excited to be properly working on Faustina again, following my recent late-night shenanigans, and I’m dangerously close to 70k now. It’s been a long time since I hit that on a single project and that was the novel I wrote when I was 15. I… should do a post on the novel I wrote when I was 15.
- I am utterly baffled by the transgender-people-in-bathrooms debate. Mostly because, like, OF COURSE people should be allowed to use the toilet they feel most comfortable with but also… who is paying that much attention to the other people in the toilet with them? I pretty much just go in there, take care of business, stand with my hands under the dryer staring into space for several minutes (weirdly relaxing) and then leave. I had no idea I was supposed to be gendering strangers at the same time. Also, why can’t we just all use cubicles in the same room? I mean, I want privacy from people of all genders while I’m actually on the toilet (which is what cubicles are for) but I’m pretty sure I can cope with anyone seeing me just washing my hands. But this is a big deal to some people? Such a big deal that they have to make transgender people feel Othered and excluded for it? BAFFLED.
- I haven’t talked for a while about how much I love this song. I LOVE THIS SONG.
- You were totally wondering what Angus the Eight-Foot Caterpillar looks like in my glasses, weren’t you?