First of all, a belated “Happy Holidays” from Grumpy Bath Beast, my new favourite Christmas tree decoration. Carl was nice enough to buy it for me for Christmas after I explained how urgently I required it.
This is another “I thought of a lot of things to blog about but didn’t get around to making a full post about any of them so here they are smooshed together in one post” post. But I’m going to cheat and call it an end-of-year summary post.
My Biggest Achievement:
If you’ve been following my blog for a while, you’ll know that I’ve been banging my head against this particular brick wall for nearly two years. I wrote 38,000 words last year and then decided they were all terrible and started again. At one point, 50,000 words was actually my target for the finished book. I knew that would be short for a novel but I thought it was all I could manage. Then I started to get within striking distance of it and realised it wouldn’t get me anywhere close to the end, although I left my Scrivener target set to 50,000 until I reached it so that I didn’t get hopelessly demoralised.
So yeah, I’m still not done. But I hit a target when I was convinced I wouldn’t, and that felt pretty good.
Incidentally, if you wrote 50,000 words in a month for NaNoWriMo this year, you are awesome and I hate you.
Most Inexplicably Addictive TV Show:
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.
Why did I not know how good this show was until this year? Why are the songs always stuck in my head (and why did I exacerbate the situation by making one of them my ringtone)? Why can’t I find anywhere to buy an adult-sized My Little Pony backpack?
That’s the thing about this show. It leaves you with a lot of questions.
Things that are awesome about MLP: FiM, in no particular order:
- A huge assortment of strong female characters. It shows that girls can be fashion-conscious, sporty, book-smart, outdoorsy, quiet, loud, confident, shy or any combination of those and still be awesome. If anything, this show could actually use some more important male characters (not something I say often) but you can’t mark it down on girl power.
- Friendship literally is magic. I won’t explain because it’s a long story involving magic jewellery, but the title seems a lot less cheesy once you find that out.
- They say “anypony” and “everypony” instead of “anybody” and “everybody”. I thought it would get annoying but it genuinely makes me laugh every time. I actually think this show may have broken my brain but it makes me so happy I don’t care.
- Romance is almost non-existent. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I like romance. But I also think it’s important to have media (especially media aimed specifically at little girls) that shows that romantic love is only part of what can constitute a happy ending. The main ponies deal with friendship problems, career opportunities, bullying, growing up and finding your place in the world (also dragons and a chimera thing called Discord) and are never told that finding some Prince Charming is the answer.
- There’s a My Little Pony version of Pathfinder, the roleplaying game. I am playing it tomorrow.
- This song. Listen to it. LISTEN TO IT.
It’s in your head for the rest of forever now. You’re welcome.
Most Intense Binge-Watching Session:
Once Upon A Time, something like 20 episodes in three days. I am now up to date, if UK Netflix is up to date. (I’m scared to look that up in case I find spoilers.) I am also now pretty sure that I am a princess from a fairytale realm.
I have MANY COMPLICATED FEELINGS about what I have just seen but when I tried to talk to my sister about them it was just text messages full of swearing so I’m just going to show you this awkward freeze-frame of Killian/Captain Hook instead.
Surprisingly, neither my pony addiction nor Netflix. It was Grand Theft Auto Online. I always thought I wouldn’t like Grand Theft Auto. I was wrong.
This is my GTA Online character. She’s exactly like me except she spends less time in pajamas and more time killing people. And, because my enthusiasm for video games outweighs my skill at playing them, even more time being killed by other people.
On the whole, I’m glad that life isn’t imitating art in this instance. Although who wouldn’t want to pay a glitchy invisible mechanic $50 per day to park their car vertically up a wall so they can’t get in it?
Best Blog Post
A late but great entry from Bronwyn Green. Read this and laugh yourself silly. And then weep endlessly because you can’t get that dog picture out of your head. Or maybe that’s just me.
Best Eight-Foot Toy Caterpillar
Angus is the true meaning of life.
Thanks for reading my blog and/or Faustina this year. I hope 2015 was good for you. To be honest, it’s been a seriously mixed bag for me and I’m glad it’s nearly over. But here’s hoping that 2016 will bring all the happiness, success and unnecessarily huge insects anypony could want!